Monday, August 30, 2010

"I Think Were Hitting the Bone"

My favorite scar is the scar on the bottom right side of my right foot because; it was cut all the way down to my bone!

Last November my parents took a vacation to the Hawaiian Islands, leaving my siblings and I to fend for ourselves, with my cousin Courtney of course. Every day either my sister or I had to stay home from school to watch my little brother. I was home from school, and I was sweeping the floor, when I hit my foot on the side of a board. I just knew I had gotten a sliver because it really hurt, and there was a big bump.

I waited until my older sister got home to help me try to squeeze something out. I had gotten out a little sliver, so I thought that it was all gone.

Within a few months to come the place where I got the sliver had a huge, swollen bump and hurt really badly. I was concerned there was still something in there, so I bugged my mom everyday that it hurt. One morning at 1:30 a.m. I woke up in excruciating pain, my foot felt as if it were on fire! I woke up my parents and my dad tried to squeeze something out, but it hurt so much I woke up the whole house with my screaming. After the painful torture my mother finally took me to the emergency room.

I waited four hours in the smelly waiting room to get in. While waiting a really scary groop of young adult came in and started screaming to someone on the phone about punching a wall.

When I got in I had to get an x-ray, so the doctors could find something. Nothing showed up but we knew something was in there. We took a risk and they gave me a shot, that burnt like they were holding a match to my foot, and started cutting over the bump. After a while of cutting and searching they started to scrape something hard. One doctor said, “I think we are hitting the bone”. The other doctor looked closer then picked up his tweezers. I could feel something being pulled from my flesh, I was ready to scream, “what are you doing, pulling out my bone!”, when the doctor pulled out a bloody chunk.

He rinsed off the chunk to find it was a sliver about one inch long and one centimeter thick, that was sitting right next to my bone. They asked me if I wanted to keep it, I absolutely refused.

They said they weren’t going to stitch it up because they didn’t want to put anymore foreign things in the wound, but in the end they had to because it wouldn’t stop bleeding. I watched them put in the stitch, which was pretty cool, then add some gauss, and wrap it up. Then a nurse came in and gave me some orange juice that was in a yogurt type container. Then i traveled the hour back home and went to bed.

After the hole catastrophe was over I got to walk around school for a month wearing a slipper and a wrap. This concludes the story of my favorite scar.

No comments:

Post a Comment